[vdr] Re: dvb threatening file system? [was Drop support for multiple video dirs?]

Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2003 14:10 schrieben Sie:
> Rene Bartsch wrote:
> > >
> > > It seems that todays hardware is running to close to the limits - my
> > > mainboard allows me to set the frequency in MHz steps, so i reduced it
> > > by 3 MHz (130 instead of 133) and anything is rock-solid.
> >
> > I checked my server with a 48 hour burn-in test and everything was fine
> >
> > But after installing OS/VDR the problems occurred ...
>
> I assume OS means Operating System, right?

Yes.

> How did you test the server without an OS?

The burn-in test used a Caldera-DOS and I checked with Win2k for a week (see
my other mail).

> Did you test with just the OS installed and no VDR?

I did a lot of tests, but it's not easy to say what the reason is as the
segfaults and crashes were sporadic - sometimes after ten minutes, sometimes
after ten hours. But if I remind well they didn't occour before installing
DVB-driver/VDR. But they definitely happened while VDR wasn't running, too.

So it really might be the DMA-problem of the driver. I'm going to install the
new one when my Debian-system is completely up and running.

> What I'm trying to find out here is whether the
> problems came from the bare OS or from VDR.
> In order to test with the bare OS you would, of course,
> need to do things like VDR does, i.e. read and write
> large files, for instance.

MDK has been erased ;o)

I'll check with Debian, now.

Rene