[vdr] Re: vdr and via epia...

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 09:27, Tapio Karinsalo wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am planning to purchase Via Epia motherboard and using it with VDR.
> Do you guys know which Epia is best for VDR? Is 533 MHz enough power
> for this purpose? Or should it be more powerful processor? Am I right
> that with Via Epia motherboard it is possible to get totally silent
> system?

The question is: Will you be using a full-featured card or a budget one?

full-featured: Yes, 533MHz is plenty (any Pentium is adequate if you use
a full-featured card)

budget: If you use a Dxr3, etc. for output, then 533MHz is fine - if you
want to use one of the recent software decoders, you may need more CPU,
or one of the EPIA-M boards.

Nobody has yet confirmed that the MPEG2 decoder in the EPIA-M boards
actually works with the Xine plugins :)

Cheers,
Gavin.