[vdr] Re: vdr and via epia...

On Friday 10 October 2003 08:27, Tapio Karinsalo wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am planning to purchase Via Epia motherboard and using it with VDR. Do
> you guys know which Epia is best for VDR? Is 533 MHz enough power for this
> purpose? Or should it be more powerful processor? Am I right that with Via
> Epia motherboard it is possible to get totally silent system?
>
> Regards
> Tappi

hi,

I'm also planning to buy one in order to get a totally silent system. I have
already bought a case with a fanless PSU (netzteil). Search at e-bay for :
Siemens Fujitsu JETSON. I once found a nice page, where a guy built a VDR out
of this box. It features a fanlass power supply and has also a decent
looking. An Epia board should fit perfectly into the case. The case itself
hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you whether it really was a good choice
but I expect it to come tomrrow. I can keep you updated on that subject.

And 533 MHZ is certainly enough power unless you want MPEG4 playback via
mplayer. This is definately not possible. You might try the
mplayerclusterplugin instead. Currently I am running a VDR on a 200 Mhz
computer without any problems.

If you want to stay absolutely silent, then you should also consider using
nfsroot (no harddisks)

Tom