[vdr] Re: Two cards, two recordings, bad signal on one = two broken recordings

Am Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2003 22:47 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Rene,
>
> > > So I'd say everybody should change this in whatever way they
> > > consider best fitting.
> >
> > Yes, but bad reception shouldn't crash a system.
> >
> > What about just checking two values?
> >
> > 1.) FE_HAS_LOCK
> > 2.) BER
> >
> > If there's no FE_HAS_LOCK it might be a crash, but if there's a BER You
> > receive something and the driver hasn't crashed.
>
> The simple answer to that one is not every frontend delivers all values.
> Frontends which return a *real* BER are hard to find. I never understood
> why Convergence didn't update all the frontends, so that they deliver
> all four values (BER, SNR, SS, UNC) of interest

Because they do programming by hacking. Most stability problems we have in VDR
are caused by ugly workarounds for driver problems.

My server used to crash for half a year with strange segfaults and IDE-errors.
I screwed it into parts twice a week and changed hardware for 1000,- EUR, but
nothing improved. I even lost all file-systems three times and my BIOS got
corrupted several times (--> only pulling power-cord and removing
CMOS-battery helped to get it working correctly).

After switching to DVB-driver version 1.0.1 (in which the DMA-bug has been
fixed) it works like a charm for three days, now.

Rene