[vdr] Choosing motherboard and CPU

Hello DVB abd VDR users.

I need recommendations for choosing the ATX motherboard and CPU for my
system. So far I have only the empty Dign 3 case.

  http://www.moddin.net/review.asp?ReviewID=45
  http://www.heimkino.at/images/produktfotos/htpcprospekt.jpg

There will be 1 or 2 Siemens DVB-C cards and one budget card inside.

I would like to keep the idle mode power consumption low. With old K6
based AT PC I have measured idle mode power consumption to be about
50W. Is this nowadays possible at all with recent motherboards,
chipsets and CPUs?

Jaakko Hyvätti once mentioned he chose Athlon motherboard where the
northbridge has passive cooling.

Would it be possible to use some mobile CPU and lower clock speed
while in idle mode?

I wouldn't want to reinvent the wheel again and to go through all CPU
and motherboard options available, study their specifications and
complaining dealers for providing insufficient data.

The system will be placed in the kitchen where there are already some
noisy devices wo the VDR box does not have to be completely silent.
The system will need enough horsepower to play DivX:es, though. It
will be a multimedia home server server.

I am sure many people have spent a lot of time thinking the same
questions as I do now. I would really appreciate your comments here.

Jarkko Lavinen