[vdr] Re: Choosing motherboard and CPU

There will be 1 or 2 Siemens DVB-C cards and one budget card inside.
are you going to use a tower or desktop?
i am using a tower now and for cooling i use slot fans...so many pci slots is a good idea :)

currently i use a7v600 mobo. it works now good for me. but because of its very recent chipset (kt600) - the support is not as perfect as it should be.

my criteria for the a7v600 were: many pci slots, recent chipset!? and holes in the mainboard for a cpu cooler, because i use heavy copper coolers ( i just can suggest this!) and wanted to use screws to fix it. -> by the way: the cpu stays at 45°C max on load... ( and the case is damped.)

I would like to keep the idle mode power consumption low. With old K6
based AT PC I have measured idle mode power consumption to be about
50W. Is this nowadays possible at all with recent motherboards,
chipsets and CPUs?
i believe not... the cpu alone can reach 70/80 W. but i do not know about idle watts...

if you are interested in experiments...there is a free-scalable cpu freqency support in the new 2.6.x kernel series....
The system will be placed in the kitchen where there are already some
noisy devices wo the VDR box does not have to be completely silent.
The system will need enough horsepower to play DivX:es, though. It
will be a multimedia home server server.
i would take some recent cpu and chose a lower frontside bus frequency. so the cpu stays cooler (less cooling) and you save energy. say..use an athlon 2200+ (1.8ghz) and run it with 1,3 ghz...

i hope i could help a little bit..

bye.

(manuel hartl / it services)
(web - http://www.hartl-it.de)