[vdr] Re: ATX PSUs Re: Choosing motherboard and CPU

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:36:12AM +0200, Sebastian Frei wrote:
> > First, is a 450W ATX PSU an overkill in a VDR box or should I look for
> > 300W model instead?
> >
> It depends on your configuration. For my Duron 1,1 my 140W PSU is overkill.

I would like to keep the box simple, 2 or 3 DVB-c cards and ability
to provide 2 simultaneous video streams. 2 Siemens DVB-C cards would
and 3rd budget card would be backup for recoding TV-news from 3 channels
simultaneously.

I still run K6-III+ at home and these afterbufern fighter plane like
CPUs are bit unfamiliar to me with respect to their power cinsumption.
The same applies to motherboards and their chipsets.

The question is then rather, how much power do 450W/300W switching power
supplies loose in the air while only 100W is consumed? It might be better
to buy very efficient 450W model than less efficent 300W model.

Jarkko