[vdr] MPlayer and DXR3

This isn't strictly a VDR problem -- I've duplicated it independently
of VDR -- but it's something that I would expect a fair number of
VDR users will have come across (if it's not all in my imagination),
so I'm going to ask here anyway.

Using MPlayer to play DivX movies to my DXR3 card, the output is a
little choppy.  Not a *lot*, but noticably more so than via Xv.
Scenes with substantial amounts of movement, for example panning
shots, or the opening couple of seconds of the DS9 starting credits,
have small pauses in the video.

I've tried using MPlayer 0.92 and 1.0rc2.  There's plenty of CPU
available -- if I don't use -vo dxr3:prebuf:sync then the mplayer
process uses about 30% of the CPU (that goes up to close to 100%
with prebuf:sync enabled).

I've tried letting MPlayer do its default thing with -vo dxr3,
and I've tried explicitly setting a bitrate for the output
("-vop lavc=9000") and the pauses are still there.

It's particularly maddening as playback within VDR itself is
wonderfully smooth.  So I know the DXR3 is working properly.

Has anyone come up with a set of arguments for MPlayer to get
optimal output with the DXR3?  The alternative I suppose would be
some way to transcode DivX movies to MPEG data suitable for VDR
to play natively, though that wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks.

Matt

--
    "Two of my imaginary friends reproduced once ... with negative results."
                                                  float@interport.net (void)