[vdr] Re: Feature request - 16/9 auto-swithing

There is a possibility to signal the tv that the image is anamorphic. It is
somehow signaled in line 23 (don't know the line number for sure) of the
image. This is called WSS WideScreenSignalling. This works even when using
composite (Cinch) or a S-Video connection.

The other possibility is pin 8 of the scart connector if it's on 12 Volts
ist a 4:3 image, if it's on 6 Volts it's a 16:9 image.

> It means that your tv detects a letter box programs from the
> black zones above and underneath the image, and then activate
> an artificial zoom mode.
> Please note that it's    completely different than the true 16/9 mode,
> because zooming decreases the quality of video : you stretch
> horizontally and vertically a small image to fill entire
> screen, without any more information ! (Remember that the two
>  blacks zones doesn't contain any information and are totally lost).
> => At the end, you are displaying a full screen with no more
> than about 300 lines...

This is totally different, but my tv does this, too.