[vdr] Re: Feature request - 16/9 auto-swithing

At 16:38 03.01.2004, you wrote:

that's right, my TV switches to a mode called WideScreen (16:9 anamorphic, like it does, when playing an anamorphic DVD from the DVD player diretly connected to the TV-set. Ihave disabled any automatic switching of the picture format exactly for the reasons you gave...
Sometimes I manually switch to another mode called 16:9 or 14:9 to get rid of the black bars, of course with artificially zooming the picture.

Be carefull !!!

AFAIK, there is *no* possibility to detect "normal" or "large" signal from a
simple composite connection (ie cinch).

It means that your tv detects a letter box programs from the black zones
above and underneath the image, and then activate an artificial zoom mode.
Please note that it's completely different than the true 16/9 mode,
because zooming decreases the quality of video : you stretch horizontally
and vertically a small image to fill entire screen, without any more
information ! (Remember that the two blacks zones doesn't contain any
information and are totally lost).
=> At the end, you are displaying a full screen with no more than about 300
lines...

Keep in mind that true 16/9 gives an *anamorphic* image which is only
horizontally stretched (by the true anamorphic 16/9 mode of the tv). In this
way, the maximum resolution is keeping, ie from about 500 lines. Really more
efficient than a poor zoom !

PS : At this time, there is a true 16/9 anamorphic film on ZDF (Astra).

Bye !
Karim.