[vdr] Re: Suggestions for tv output?

> So for for 'tv-output' i've either gotta go mpeg decoder or
> tv-out card. Qualty is a big concern with me( the reason why
> I bought a plasma screen, and went digital) I'd like to know
> what people would recommend for best picture output, I'm
> talking on a widescreen 16:9 1'm tv here.

I think the best available option will be DVI-D -based output.
And use VDR with softdevice-plugin. Or perhaps KVDR might work.

I can compare same recording on DVB-cards composite output (CVBS)
vs. Mplayer output via DVI and must say that the difference is huge.

I use LCD-type projector and in my setup the signal is not
in analog mode until perceived on screen, all right until light beam
goes thru lcd panel :-).

My setup:

VGA frame buffer - dvi cable - projector frame buffer - projector lcd

Analog setup might go like:

VGA frame buffer - DAC - analog cable - ADC - projector/plasma fb - lcd/plasma
* unneeded digital -> analog -> digital conversion chain
* typical analog cable problems: fading, echoes etc.

My goal is to run HDTV 720p mode (1280x720) all the time and let
software output DVB-picture to it in correct aspect ratios and
via de-interlacing (tvtime / dscaler type of software).

So if your plasma supports DVI-D I recommend you that. But I must
*warn* that software is *not ready* and even I don't know if I will
ever succeed. Softdevice is 0.0.3 version and very limited. I have
my hopes on KVDR but currently I have KDE (needed by KVDR) compile
problems.

And I am still solving DVI - HDTV 720p issues. For HDTV modes in my
projector I guess I need "sync on green"-feature from VGA card.
But that need to be investigated.

But I hope one day...

Best regards, Jori Hämäläinen