[vdr] Re: Suggestions for tv output?

Hi,

˙so-8859-1?B?SORt5GzkaW5lbiBKb3Jp?˙jori.hamalainen@teliasonera.com> wrote:
So for for 'tv-output' i've either gotta go mpeg decoder or tv-out card. Qualty is a big concern with me( the reason why I bought a plasma screen, and went digital) I'd like to know what people would recommend for best picture output, I'm talking on a widescreen 16:9 1'm tv here.
I think the best available option will be DVI-D -based output.
And use VDR with softdevice-plugin. Or perhaps KVDR might work.
My Matrox G550 is dual headed and has one DVI and one VGA connector.

I can compare same recording on DVB-cards composite output (CVBS)
vs. Mplayer output via DVI and must say that the difference is huge.
[ snip ]

My goal is to run HDTV 720p mode (1280x720) all the time and let
software output DVB-picture to it in correct aspect ratios and via de-interlacing (tvtime / dscaler type of software).
My Intel Pentium 2.8 GHz HT CPU can decode, scale and deinterlace a 1920x1088 HDTV 1080i stream (Euro1080) to a size of 960x544 with a maximum CPU load of 70 % (most of the time about 60 %). Kernel 2.6.0 performs even better, due to less peak loads on the two virtual processors. So I think, native HDTV 720p mode should be possible with such a machine, using my vdr-xine plugin with xine / fbxine.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de