[vdr] Re: VDR developer version 1.3.0

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 11:35:12AM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Hmmm, I wonder why the check against 0xFF was introduced in the first place?
> It wasn't there in the original 'libdvt' code written by Rolf Hakenes,
> and I'd say it isn't necessary, anyway, since 'char' is assumed to be 8 bit.

That depends on your level of paranoia.  As far as I read the C standard
documents there is no part that claims char to be 8 bit.  It just says that
char must be "large enough to store any member of the basic execution
character set" (ISO/IEC 9899:1999 6.2.5 par.3).  On the other hand side I
would expect vdr (like most software) to break anyway on systems with
different sizes for char data type.

> I guess I'll just remove the (*from <= 0xFF) check.

I think, that's ok for that case.  If vdr was software to run in some security
critical area I would object, but I do not consider vdr such type of software.
;-)

> (Sorry, Robert, this is the second fix in a row that you have suggested
> but I have done differently - no offense ;-)

I don't feel offended by such things.  This might have been the case if you
did something completely stupid instead and claimed to have reinvented the
wheel. --- And even then, most likely, I wouldn't have cared.  ;-)

But to come back to another issue: If you add -W to the command line many
unused parameter, missing initializer, and such stuff warnings do appear.  If
you are interested in having cleaned them up, I can do a patch for that.  But
I will do a patch only if there is real interest.  Because if you don't care
about unused parameters or uninitialized variables it is pointless to do a
patch.  I personally would recommend cleaning that up because it often shows
hidden bugs, but this is your decision.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele			Tel.: +49-621-181-2517