[vdr] Re: Little feature request for 1.3.x

Ulrich Petri wrote:
Ari Huttunen wrote:

- I'd like to be able to set a recording on channel X when currently
recording on channel Y (on a different channel bundle). I do *not* want
to use VDR admin, but the OSD.

What do you mean by this? In the Schedule Menu you can set a Timer for every
progam anytime.
Well, I stand corrected. I never noticed that if I press yellow/Next
and then select another channel, and press yellow/Schedule, I get the
schedule of that other channel. Note that green/Now does not really
work there because the other channel(s) might not be having any program.

Guess who's been pressing green/Now, green/Next, and getting back to
where he started, never noticing the Schedule in the interim step.

You know, this reminds me of Zork.. Excellent games those were.

Or you can enter the data by hand in the Timers menu.
Need I respond to this? :)

Also, the down-button in the EPG menu
works oddly; when it goes down to the next page, the top-most program
on the next page should be displayed, not the bottom-most one.

This is a setup option: Scroll Pages (or so)
Interesting. I think I'd figured that out if I had used
English menu language, but I'm actually using Finnish,
and "Valikkojen sivutus" makes little if no sense to me. I'd say
that it sort of is a correct translation, but still makes
little sense. Not that I could translate it better.

I'm not certain which setting is the default, but you can already
scroll whole pages with right/left, so using the up/down to also
scroll pages is just overkill.

My usual opinion about menu options is that they are evil. Especially
this option is so unimportant, even if it is set the wrong way (i.e.
wrong way in my opinion).

- I can't understand why on earth directory names should have ':' in
them. I'd rate that as a bug. I know the VFAT (whatever) compile option
removes that, but since I'm actually recording on EXT3, I didn't want
to enable it (it may do something else too). The problem is on my secondary
archival, which is done on FAT, and then I can't just copy the directory
structure without renaming the interim directories.

So actually you are using fat. Use the VFAT compile option.
I just grepped through the code, and since the *only* difference
is in file naming, I will.

Well, FAT sucks, but still *no-one* needs that colon in the directory
name.

And LIRC freezes occasionally for about half a minute, although
I don't know what actually freezes.

This problem is often caused by vdradmin if you have very much epg data
(which takes a long time to transfer).
I'm not using vdradmin, but there seems to be 132 kB of epg.data.

Ciao Ulrich

PS: Reading the manuals *does* help.

Quoting one of the user interface design books I read last year:
"Users don't have manuals, and even if they do, they won't read them."

The point is not to say no to manuals, but as much of the system
should be usable without them as possible.

Ari