[vdr] Re: using VGA / YUV output from vdr

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Brian Dorling wrote:

>Johannes,
>
>with the prices of pretty good er,... "Beamers", sorry "projectors"
>coming down rapidly I keep wondering whether there isn't any newer
>versions of DVB cards in the works anywhere. Mainly something with RGB,
>S-Video and DVI connectors would be nice, I dont know if the MPEG
>decoder should also maybe have more power, for HDTV maybe?
>I'm sure there will be a market for them.

Yes, I've too found the connection support on the DVB cards to be abysmal
and outright cr*p. In a card that I pay almost 300e for there should be
better connectors that a more or less fragile SVideo for which one has to
*solder* a custom connector and which seems to die after a while anyway.
Not to speak of the silly amounts of memory for OSD stuff. Look at any
normal modern 300e graphics card and the array of outputs is usually a lot
better, at least you can get SVideo, DVI, VGA and composite.

I'm too getting a projector, and I have small hopes of getting any decent
picture quality with it from the VDR box. This is not a VDR problem, but a
limitation of the DVB hardware.

--

  That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am.
                                             -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods