[vdr] Re: Satellite Newbie...

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 07:30, Sebastian Frei wrote:

> > Q1. If only one DVB-S card is connected to the dish (say the server)
> > will the other DVB-S card on the client be able to display the
channels
> > or do both cards need to be connected to the dish.
>
> If you are using the streamdev plugin: yes
> There are different ways to achieve that vdr only uses the TV-Out part
of
> your card.
> BUT it's wasted resources. Put the second DVB-S card in the server,
connect
> it to the dish and buy a dxr3 card for your client.

As I thought, I have a dxr3 card but the reliability just doesn't quite
cut it for me.  Will use it for a second machine maybe..  One of the
main reasons for me delaying putting a dish up is that there is very few
decent Satellite FTA channels up here in the UK.

> > Q2. If I have only 1 lnb on the dish how would I connect both cards
up
> > (there's only 1 connection on both cards).
> >
> You could use the lnb-sharing-patch.
> BUT if possible with your cabling, get a used quad LNB for about 10?
(ebay).

Just had a search for more info on LNB's and didn't know about the
twin/quad versions this looks like the best and easier option with
running two cables down..

Here's another question; in a two card system if the primary card (a
DVB-S) is recording, would you still be able to view channels from a
Nova-T?

Thank you and all the best,
Richard...