[vdr] Re: No sound on RTL (some times)

On Thursday 08 January 2004 18:33, Martin Holst wrote:
> I've written to the list a few weeks ago with the same problem. Now I'm
> pretty sure, that with newer versions of dvb-driver and dvb-kernel the channel
> RTL or - to be more exactly - the sound of this channel get lost. If I switch
> to RTL, there is some times no sound. When I switch (for example) to SAT1 or
> even to Super RTL I've sound. Switching back to RTL: No sound. With driver
> before 1.11.03 I've never had this behaviour. Only a restart of the driver bring
> back the sound.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> tested with vdr 1.2.x and vdr 1.3.0, several (recent) dvb-driver and
> dvb-kernel versions, channels.conf from the vdr-distribution, no plugins&patches

I often have missing sound on ARD (pid 102), but sometimes other pids
are affected (101, 104). 101 is used by picture on ARD, 104 by sound
on RTL...

This is a known and pretty old bug. I had some off-list discussion with
the driver developers in April 2003 about this issue. It was mentioned
on the ML several times, too.

Unfortunately the problem has not been identified yet.

If you will dig deeper into this, you will find that the bug is not
channel-related but pid-related: The firmware is not able to display
(or play sound) which is transmitted on this specific pid.

For example:
If pid 102 is affected, sound is missing on ARD and EinsExtra because
both use apid 102. pid 102 simply does not work anymore. You have to
reload the driver to fix the problem. It's probably a firmware bug.

Oliver