[vdr] Question regarding future direction of VDR

Hi Klaus,

I know you've answered this question before but I'm not sure I fully understood what you mean.

With regards to modularizing VDR you said that you wanted such things as LIRC, keyboard, etc supported by VDR itself so that VDR could stand alone. I'm having trouble understanding how making things like LIRC and keyboard, etc plugins would conflict with that goal. These would be plugins which are part of VDR and I think "vdr -Plirc", "vdr -Pkeyboard", or even "vdr -Plirc -Pkeyboard" are better than vdr-lirc or vdr-kbd.

This is just my opinion but I think that would still leave you with complete flexibility in developing VDR as you see fit since those would be core VDR plugins but it would also allow much greater flexibility for users and/or developers to customize things for themselves with far greater ease.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to understand why you seem to be against this sort of modularisation. Kind of reminds me of the debate between Linus and Tanenbaum regarding OS modularity.

Regards,
Michal

P.S. I still think HURD is a better design! :)