[vdr] Re: AW: Re: softdevice-0.0.4 plugin with Xv output method

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> yes, it should. Using the Overlay on DirectFB (that's pretty much the
> same as Xv does) we were able to decode MP@ML DVB MPEG2 on 400-500MHz
> mobile processors.
>
> The drawback is that not all graphics cards allow transparent layers,
> thus you might have to non-transparent OSDs implemented using
> destination-colorkeys - should be acceptable in most situations though.
> The text might be even better readable.

I have a general question concerning the DirectFB output:
Is it possible to get a 1:1 output like the DVBs does with it´s built in
TV-out? I just know the Windows situation, and there (still) only Matrox cards
are able to output an interlaced video overlay 1:1 to a TV out using the
DVDMax option - you even can change the field order in case of flickering which is
the proof that it does an 1:1 output.
Does DirectFB use an deinterlacer?
What is the best option if you want to output the image in best quality on a
TV - softdevice or xine plugin? If I remember right, the latter on supports
the deinterlacing algorithms of DScaler...

P.S.: Feel free to answer this mail as PM as not everyone might be
interested... First of all, I want to know, if we will ever get a VDR incl. MHP with
nearly the same video quality as when using the TV out of the OSD-limited
Nexus.
And additionally, it would be interesting to know if it is an acceptable
solution to build a low-budget-VDR with e.g. 2 SkyStar2 cards (60 Euro each
compared to 1 Nexus @ 215 Euro) and a software decoding plugin. This would make
VDR much more cheaper and therefore "mass compatible" compared to a Media
Center PC, especially, if there was a "Knoppix"- or "SuSE Live"-comparable
distribution...

With kind regards

Jörg