[vdr] Re: AW: Re: softdevice-0.0.4 plugin with Xv output method

Jörg Knitter wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:

yes, it should. Using the Overlay on DirectFB (that's pretty much the same as Xv does) we were able to decode MP@ML DVB MPEG2 on 400-500MHz mobile processors.

The drawback is that not all graphics cards allow transparent layers, thus you might have to non-transparent OSDs implemented using destination-colorkeys - should be acceptable in most situations though. The text might be even better readable.

I have a general question concerning the DirectFB output:
Is it possible to get a 1:1 output like the DVBs does with it´s built in
TV-out? I just know the Windows situation, and there (still) only Matrox cards
are able to output an interlaced video overlay 1:1 to a TV out using the
DVDMax option - you even can change the field order in case of flickering which is
the proof that it does an 1:1 output.
For Matrox cards the TV out is pretty good working and provides the correct interlaced output. For the Epia-TVout the DirectFB people are continously working on it - a few days ago they reported on the DirectFB mailing list that interlaced output is basically working but the image is not yet correctly scaled - thus the driver still needs a few tweaks.

For all other cards where TVout is either working on DirectFB or X11 you can either use it directly or via the SDL backend and run DirectFB on X11, maybe even using the binary-only X11 drivers if the TVout is working better there.

Does DirectFB use an deinterlacer?
no, not explictitly - it just provides an API to access the graphic card's functionality. But ffmpeg/libavcodec contains an a deinterlacer, you can easily hook this in: just call avpicture_deinterlace() before doing the YUV conversion.

What is the best option if you want to output the image in best quality on a
TV - softdevice or xine plugin? If I remember right, the latter on supports
the deinterlacing algorithms of DScaler...
just try - both are continously developing and not yet mature...

P.S.: Feel free to answer this mail as PM as not everyone might be
interested... First of all, I want to know, if we will ever get a VDR incl. MHP with
nearly the same video quality as when using the TV out of the OSD-limited
Nexus.
no - that's pretty unlikely, MHP requires a much more flexible OSD than the av711x provides.

And additionally, it would be interesting to know if it is an acceptable
solution to build a low-budget-VDR with e.g. 2 SkyStar2 cards (60 Euro each
compared to 1 Nexus @ 215 Euro) and a software decoding plugin.
it's definitely still bleeding edge technology, you know what this
means...
;)

This would make
VDR much more cheaper and therefore "mass compatible" compared to a Media
Center PC, especially, if there was a "Knoppix"- or "SuSE Live"-comparable
distribution...
There is a Knoppix-VDR CD available (published by the C't people I think), as well as a MythTV Knoppix project: http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=3)

Holger