[vdr] Re: Nothing good for me... [Was]-> ( Implementing newdevice, but video is choppy)

Reinhard Nissl wrote:
Hi,

I've had the same stuttering problem with my vdr-xine-0.0.2 plugin. Since vdr-xine-0.0.3 (aka 0.1.0) I've solved the issues similar to your approaches so far. I think, the hint below will solve your final problem.

Stefan Schluenss wrote:

Maybe i'm wrong, but
how does you control the output "speed" of your decoder ? You have to adjust your decoding system clock to that of the data source. That's the reason for the SCR (System Clock Reference)-Fields in the MPEG format definition.
If it's not done, your buffer could run empty resulting in choppy video output.

Absolutely true. As long as the decoder's system clock is running ahead of the stream's system clock reference, the decoder throws away every frame that is too old until it gets up to frames that are in the future.
That's where the PCR pid is for - a pretty clean implementation of PCR/STC management is e.g. contained in the streaming code of VLC, take a look there to get an idea what needs to get done...

Holger