[vdr] Reducing bitrate of recordings

Hi folks!

I'd like to use mencoder to reduce the bitrate of VDR recordings. This
works quite well and VDR plays the compacter movies without any problems,
but it is not able to do fast forward/fast backward. If I press fast
forward, the picture freezes until I press play again. Jumping for a minute
seems to work without problems.

This _might_ be a problem of my setup since I'm using the dxr3 plugin.

This is my mencoder command line:

mencoder-1.0pre3 001.vdr -ovc lavc -oac lavc                               \
 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2000:vpass=1:abitrate=192:acodec=mp2 \
 -of mpeg -o new_001.vdr                                                   \

After that, I'm using genindex-0.1.2 to generate a new index.vdr.

I also tried to produce much more I-frames in the stream by adding the
option keyint=10 to the lavcopts, but this does not seem to change anything.

Has anybody any idea how to fix this problem?

BTW: Applying genindex on the original input file does not harm the original
recording. Therefore I think genindex is working perfectly.

Thanks,

Tobias

--
Tobias Haustein