[vdr] Re: Reducing bitrate of recordings

Tobias Haustein wrote:

Hi folks!

I'd like to use mencoder to reduce the bitrate of VDR recordings. This
works quite well and VDR plays the compacter movies without any problems,
but it is not able to do fast forward/fast backward. If I press fast
forward, the picture freezes until I press play again. Jumping for a minute
seems to work without problems.

do you need mplayer ?
it might be faster to do some file i/o and use requant to shrink the
mpeg2 stream using compressed domain transcoding.

to explain this would be a long story, but look the archives for requant / MVrequant originaly released by metakine, but other people have posted pathes to this list.

This _might_ be a problem of my setup since I'm using the dxr3 plugin.

which could make my writing from above obsolte, but i dont have a dxr3.

Regards Onno