[vdr] VDR-compatible video archive: which format?

Hi list,

as my new harddisks arrived, I'm quite proud that my server has 0.6 TB (in words: terrabyte) of harddisk space, which I want to fill up with a video archive.

I've got lots of disks here: DVD's, DivX (5.x), (S)VCD's. I want to store them all in the archive, and add new material (wherever it comes from) to the archive instead of burning CD's or DVD's.

My VDR runs on a EPIA M6000, therefore DivX is not possible (well, it *is* possible, but at about 2-3fps :-( If I want to watch my DivX movies, I have to convert them anyway.

Now I'm asking which format should I use, and how to convert the various sources into this format. The combination of the EPIA board and the MPEG-decoder on the DVB-card makes MPEG2 the only solution. But MPEG2 comes in various containers...

My favorite would be some kind of "VDR raw format" which VDR could replay directly, without any MPlayer or stuff. And If I could use the "remember where I stopped today, and continue there tomorrow" feature of VDR, I'd be absolutely happy (I'm shure there's a better name for this feature, just can't remember at the moment :-)

So here are my questions:

Q1: which formats would be possible?

Q2: which format would you recommend?

Q3: is it possible to feed some "external" movies into VDR so that it treats them like his own recordings? Maybe by "faking" the directory structure?

Q4: which tools would you recommend to create the format from Q2 out of different sources?

TIA, Michael

--
Michael Reinelt Tel: +43 676 3079941
Geisslergasse 4 Fax: +43 316 692343