[vdr] Re: convert (S)VCD's to VDR files using MEncoder

Also sprach Michael Reinelt zu "11.02.2004 06:33" Anno Domini:
Hi List,

[...]

If I have a SVCD which is already PAL, I'm using this command:
mencoder vcd://1 -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg -o 001.vdr

Q1: is the command correct? should I specify any additional option?

You could make it even easier:

mplayer vcd:// -dumpstream -dumpfile 001.vdr

The MPEG stream on on (s)vcd can be played directly by vdr! It only lacks the capability to read (s)vcds!

Q2: Why are there always two tracks on the VCD, the first one being
quite short, and sometimes leads to a hanging MEncoder? I have to use
vcd://2 then. Can I always use vcd://2?

Did you try simply "vcd://" without a track number? Mplayer is quiet smart in finding the right one, I think!

If I process one of these NTSC SVCD's, I'm using this command: (all in
one line)
mencoder vcd://1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500:mbd=2 -vf scale=480:576 -of mpeg -ofps 25 -o 001.vdr

The original video has 480x480 pixel, and 29,97 fps. I have to correct
both of them (do I have to correct both of them?)

Q3: is the command correct? should I specify any additional option?
Have a look at the mplayer.sh script from Juri Haberland at http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/VDR/ and my own work on my homepage http://www.errror.de/vdr/ . There you can find severel solutions for confertion NTSC material to PAL using mplayer/mencoder.

Q3b: what vbitrate would you suggest? Is 2500 far too low or far too high?
I think its quiet right for MPEG2 at this resolution! You should check the quality on your TV set yourself!

Q4: I want to make a script for these commands, which would fake the
necessary VDR directory structure, and would generate the VDR index file
afterwards. But as there are two different commands for NTSC and PAL, is
there a way to detect the format of the SVCD?

Q4b: when encoding a DVD, I have to specify 'aspect=16:9'. I want to find out the 'source aspect', too, to use this value in my script. How could I?

Newer mplayer versions support a -identify switch which prints out informations about the played stream. I think all your questions get answered from this output. Again have a look at Juri's mplayer.sh script about how to use the idetify option.

Q5: during processing, I regularly get the following messages:
"1 duplicate frame(s)!"
"Unknown block type, possibly non-MPEG stream!"
"Skipping frame!"
"Error in stream: PTS earlier than SCR!"
"Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 0 is too little!"
"Error in stream: PTS to SCR delay 1148 is too little!"
What do they mean? should I worry about them, or just ignor'em?

Hopefully this errors/warnings will disapear as sone as you use the right switches for convertion NTSC2PAL (see above).

Q6: when I try to run above commands directly on my server, which has an
SCSI CD drive, I get really very lots of messages from the kernel:
Feb  8 14:15:55 lizard kernel: sr1: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
Feb  8 14:16:26 lizard last message repeated 4140 times
Feb  8 14:17:27 lizard last message repeated 8154 times
Feb  8 14:18:28 lizard last message repeated 8208 times
Feb  8 14:19:29 lizard last message repeated 7653 times
Feb  8 14:20:08 lizard last message repeated 4880 times
They flood my syslogd, and put a quite high load on the machine, which
slows down the mencoder process a lot.
I'd like to do this porocessing oin the server, because the resulting
files won't go over the lan. What can I do?

It seams, that your SCSI drive does not support all low-level commands mplayer uses for extracting the (s)vcd data from the disc. That is the sad story about (s)vcds: The data can only be accessed "directly" from the device using low-level interfaces, which are not generally supported by all drives. The best solution is to replace your drive with one of another manufactor, maybe also with a IDE interface only!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I hope this does (at least partly)!

If someone is interested in the resulting VDR scripts, let me know!

Not personally, but I suggest, that you publish it on a website, so that other can benefit from your work!

CU
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "Quis custodit custodes?