[vdr] Re: convert (S)VCD's to VDR files using MEncoder

Hi Patrick,

If I have a SVCD which is already PAL, I'm using this command:
mencoder vcd://1 -ovc copy -oac copy -of mpeg -o 001.vdr

You could make it even easier:
mplayer vcd:// -dumpstream -dumpfile 001.vdr

The MPEG stream on on (s)vcd can be played directly by vdr! It only lacks the capability to read (s)vcds!
Sorry, but this does not work for me: I didn't try if VDR can play it, but the genindex program fails on such a stream, where it works perfectly with '-ovc copy'

Q2: Why are there always two tracks on the VCD, the first one being
quite short, and sometimes leads to a hanging MEncoder? I have to use
vcd://2 then. Can I always use vcd://2?

Did you try simply "vcd://" without a track number? Mplayer is quiet smart in finding the right one, I think!
Great! Thanks!

If I process one of these NTSC SVCD's, I'm using this command: (all in
one line)
mencoder vcd://1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=2500:mbd=2 -vf scale=480:576 -of mpeg -ofps 25 -o 001.vdr

Have a look at the mplayer.sh script from Juri Haberland at http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/VDR/ and my own work on my homepage http://www.errror.de/vdr/ . There you can find severel solutions for confertion NTSC material to PAL using mplayer/mencoder.
I did. And I did not understand :-)
I found your "framerate conversion patch", but didn't try it out yet.
What's the difference between just specifying '-ofps 25' and your patch?

Newer mplayer versions support a -identify switch which prints out informations about the played stream. I think all your questions get answered from this output. Again have a look at Juri's mplayer.sh script about how to use the idetify option.
Great again! Thanks!

Feb  8 14:15:55 lizard kernel: sr1: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.

It seams, that your SCSI drive does not support all low-level commands mplayer uses for extracting the (s)vcd data from the disc. That is the sad story about (s)vcds: The data can only be accessed "directly" from the device using low-level interfaces, which are not generally supported by all drives. The best solution is to replace your drive with one of another manufactor, maybe also with a IDE interface only!
Hmmm... the SCSI drive is a PLEXTOR. I never had any problems with it. And as I got 4 IDE harddisks in my server, and I need SCSI for the DAT Drive, I have to stay with SCSI.

bye, Michael

--
Michael Reinelt Tel: +43 676 3079941
Geisslergasse 4 Fax: +43 316 692343