[vdr] Re: Request regarding autopid and setting timers in vdr-1.4.x

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Sebastian Kemper wrote:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Sebastian Kemper wrote:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Sebastian Kemper wrote:

Hello Klaus!

I still use vanilla vdr-1.2.6 but for sure I'm looking forward to the
stable 1.4.x VDR. So I wanted to ask you two things.
First, can you include a button in the "set timer" menu (the menu one
enters after e.g. pressing "Record" in the "Programs" menu. Sometimes my
parents forget to press "OK" because there is no hint to do so, and then
the program is not getting recorded.

The button is already there - it's the "Ok" button.
Sorry, I can't see the "OK" button in vdr-1.3.4.
Sebastian

It's on your remote control - well, maybe I shouldn't have joked
about this...

I don't want to add an explicit color button for this, because the
OK button already has this functionality. The question is whether
there should be a prompt in case the user doesn't press Ok, but maybe
"Menu" or "Back" to leave the timer editing screen. I believe that's
the way to go.

Klaus

Hi Klaus!

I didn't get that joke. Now that I do so I see your problem. But maybe
you can remove the "OK" from this menu and add colored buttons, maybe
red and green, labeled "Cancel" and "Confirm" or "Accept". What do you
think?

The "natural" key to confirm some input is the Ok key, so that's not
going to change. Plus, I will need at least one colored button to allow
switching between "single shot" and "periodical" timers (which is currently
done by pressing Left or Right until the "Day" field runs into the MTWTFSS
mode, but this is not obvious). And I don't want to waste color buttons
for standard things as Ok/Cancel (Cancel can always be done by pressing either
Back or Menu).

What I could think of would be _not_ to present the "Edit timer" menu at
all when somebody presses "Record" in the "Schedule" menu, but rather just
display an info message saying "Timer set" or something like that. If the
user wants to modify the timer, he/she can always go into the Timers menu
and do so from there.

Klaus

I see. How about just a hint above the screen like "Now press OK to confirm" in yellow letters. This would be easy to do without changing anything else. And it would be clear to "newbs" like my parents what they have to do in order to get the timer set.

Sorry, I get that creepy feeling that I'm wasting your time :D
Sebastian

--
Public Key auf -> pgp.mit.edu <-