[vdr] Re: Image viewers

Hi,

as of march 2003 i have a script which uses the dvd drivers stillimage tool, the mjpeg tools and netpbm-tools. It works using the mplayer-plugin "interface" (a script gets called, the dvb device gets released to be used from the script, the script does all the mana).

BUT:
it's dirty, only bash scripting, uses irexec and shell IPC to control the slideshow.
more drawbacks:
it needs a patch for mplayer-plugin and i dropped active support due to work load (all further work is soley done because i need it for my personal uses); most development docs are either english or german.

Advantage:
higher quality, fast, no ffmpeg, works w/o vdr, is documented (engl.), everybody can extend it [but no one did ...] and the next version will get rid of the last dependecy on ImageMagick (identify for pixes sizes)

for the intressted, older versions are found here (pls. DO use 0.2.6! 0.2.7+ is broken) a new update (0.2.8) will come next weekend, my tester will report in at that time.
http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/memed/mplayer_sh__mp_image-extension.html

the image handling is based on the old image plugin [convert.sh], but decoding, conversation, re-encoding, aspect handling and some navigation stuff is re-done. as said the dvb drivers test_stillimage is used, vdr should use the same code, but i did not test [but wrote a scritp to get my digicam pictures to my vdr and have them pre-converted].

Regards Onno

Jan Ekholm wrote:

Hi folks,

What is the current state of image viewers for VDR? Do they all still
require some obsolete version of ffmpeg to be installed and encoding of
the image to an I-frame using some external application?

I tried to do a plugin half a year ago based on these same specifications,
and it never got the image to show up correctly, they were always more or
less broken in some way, and the quality was never good.  The actual
menus, navigation etc worked pretty well, only the fairly important
displaying sucked.

Has anyone come up with a solution that would in some nice way internally
convert a JPG to a format that something like StillPicture() can use?

Right now I have an external SDL application that runs on the same box and
displays the images on the normal VGA card. Very suboptimal, as it
requires two sets of cables from the VDR box to the TV and a some serious
remote control weirdness... :)

Regards,
    Jan Ekholm