[vdr] vdr, MediaMVP and divx..

Hi

I have been looking at vdr and have it running very nicely on a linux
box that sits up in my loft. Currently I have a PC in my lounge that I
use to play captured TV and DivX files that I have compressed.

What I would like to be able to do is replace the noisy PC with
not-very-good TV card output with a MediaMVP box, and use that (with the
vdr plugin) to play *all* of my video content (I.E : all the DivX stuff
too).

I'm attracted to the idea rather than buying, say, a KISS DVD player
(that supports networked DivX) because of the openness of the VDR
software and the ability to add plugins, plus the possibility that I
could use the DVR for a 'pause Live TV' type functionality...

Before I shell out on the Hauppauge kit (I have had really bad
experiences with their software so I want to check first) - is this
setup possible, particularly the runtime transcoding to MPEG2 to get
divx to play? Is anyone on this list doing this? What is the quality
like? What are the disadvantages or is there anything else that I should
consider?

Cheers,
Nigel