[vdr] Re: ARM crashing again (don't buy rev 1.3, rev 1.5 for replay)

Jarkko Santala wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry for reposting this here, but only after no useful replies from
linux-dvb. Is anyone on this list having this problem (see below)? I'll
start using the DVB-C-card for input too as of today, but I'm afraid the
problem might still appear and I'll probably keep using the DVB-T-card
too with an indoor antenna.

	-jake
I'm replying on the vdr list too because it's important for people buying older cards for example from ebay:
Rev 1.3 and rev 1.5 FF cards have a problem with replaying only without a signal attached! Rev 1.6 and later are fine. I believe the bug of this special case (backward compatibilty) is in the firmware somewhere and was introduced between Dpram / Root 1.1.2.6 and 1.1.2.7 on 30 August 2002 and has something to do with the "internal buffer handling". That's only my best guess as other driver / firmware cominations seems to crash for different reasons, which doesn't exactly make it easy to pin-point.

The pre-newstruct driver 0.94 (works with vdr 1.1.13 which allows DVB-T settings) is stable with rev 1.3. cards for example and that is what I used for a long time before getting a rev 1.6 card. So there is hope that this can be fixed, however it requires help from the firmware wizards but they're busy people who could arguably say we should get cards that work properly...

After browsing the mailing list archive I found this:

It turned out there were two seperate problems with the firmware at the time. The video buffer was too small to replay some streams (aka RTL bug and BBC mux problem), the other was and is the ARM crash we're talking about here. The patch bypassed the problem but became obsolete around driver 1.0.0 when the video buffer was increased slightly. Unfortunately it didn't solve the ARM crash problems and seems to be unrelated.

- Gregor