[vdr] Re: performance problems with vdr 1.2.x

Jean-Claude Repetto wrote:
Christoph Gohle wrote:

Hi all,

this is my first posting to this list and i hope this is the right forum for my question.

I am running vdr 1.2.6 on a Pentium 133 machine with a single Siemens DVB-s rev1.3 and i have big difficulties with performance:

As soon as the dvbdevice starts it's recieverthread (i.e. start of a recording, or still beining in transfermode after a recording) cpu usage goes up to 70 - 100% (when looking with top), which usually results in a broken recording and liveview because the transfer and recording threads cannot deliver thier data in time (ring buffer overflows).
If i disable DO_MULTIPLE_RECORDINGS and DO_REC_AND_PLAY_ON_PRIMARY_DEVICE so that the transfer thread is not started during a recording, still CPU usage goes up to 70%.

With the old vdr 1.0.4 cpu usage was barely more than 10% during a recording. So i wonder, why this is the case for newer versions (even without running in transfermode).

Does anyone have a clue where the cpu cycles go? Do i have to use a bigger cpu if i want to run vdr 1.2.x?

Best wishes,
Christoph

Are you using hardware or software section filters ?
I am using vdr-1.2.6, but i don't know how the filters (is this the peace of the system that only delivers the TS packets one is interested in?) are implemented in that software. Or does this depend on the DVB driver? How can i find out?

Christoph.

Jean-Claude

*Christoph Gohle                                        *
*Gailkircherstrasse 7                                   *
*81247 München                                          *
*Tel.:  089  32905-266  (Büro)                          *
*                 -257  (Labor)                         *
*       089  8116932    (Privat)                        *
*       0179 6089431    (Mobil)                         *
*mail:  chef@mnet-online.de		                *