[vdr] Re: Can vdr work without antenna? (play recordings)

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 17:56, Walter Schittek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for some months, I will have no antenna signal at my PC. (That is not
> the problem for me.) But during that time, I want to be able to play
> recordings that have already been made, and I want to watch DVDs with
> the DVD plugin.
>
> Today I tested this with my full-featured DVB-S card. I stopped vdr,
> pulled the antenna signal and started vdr again. For a short time, vdr
> was usable for playing recordings, but after some minutes, it seemed to
> be dead. The same behaviour after shutdown, switch off and on and
> restart of the PC (except that vdr seems immediately dead).

Hi,

I use a DVB-C without a signal as the tv-out card, with the video coming from
a streamdev server.

I changed the scripts to NOT load the frontend module for this card (ves1820),
you then need to modify VDR a little to check for the presence of a DVB card
not by /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 or something like that, but for
example /dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0. The card can now be used for output etc,
but nothing will try to tune it.

I don't know if this is absolutely necessary but I have read many stories like
yours where a card does not like to run without a signal, and this way it
works for me at least.

Goodluck!
Dennis