[vdr] Re: dvbsubs, recordings etc.

Pekka Virtanen wrote:
> On Sunday 14 March 2004 08:34, Ora Järvinen wrote:
>
>>> You can select primary and secondary language.
>>
>> Aren't there channels with subtitles in more than two languages?
>
> VDR has to know what language subtitles you want to read. Usually you
> would have only one selectable language but since in Finland most
> people can read finnish and swedish I made an option for secodary
> language, so that you don't have to change any settings when you
> change channels.
>
> Anyways, you can change the primary and secondary anytime you like.

Well this is exactly where the plugin concept has its weaknesses(and why I
said thosi should be in the VDR base). I might want to have Finnish as my
preferred subtitle language on the Scandinavian channels, Swedish if Finnish
is not available, and English for BBC. So (see below) it would be nice if
the preferred language would be stored on a channel-by-channel basis, and I
could still easily select _any_ subtitles being transmitted.

With my normal STB (Topfield TF3000, which IMHO has quite good ergonomics) I
press a button and get a drop-down menu of subtitle languages (or "no
subtitles") and select one. I can set a preferred language in the setup
(which I have set to none), and if I select a specific language for a
channel, the choice is remembered (at least until the box has a severe case
of amnesia)..

FWIW on some channels I also get a drop-down menu for more that two
different language audio tracks, thoug I've never seen anything where more
that two were actually broadcast.

> Btw, I haven't heard of any non-finnish channels that use DVB
> subtitles. If anybody knows such a channel, I would like to know how
> DVB subtitles plugin handles that channel.

I already mentioned one - BBC. They have English subtitles for the deaf (and
people like me ;-) Many channels have subtitles for the deaf, but usually in
teletext. Fortunately, I*m not deaf (yet :-)

When I have a bit of time, I'll give the plugin a try.