[vdr] Re: dvbsubs, recordings etc.

Lauri Tischler wrote:
> Ora Järvinen wrote:
>
>> Well this is exactly where the plugin concept has its weaknesses(and
>> why I said thosi should be in the VDR base). I might want to have
>> Finnish as my preferred subtitle language on the Scandinavian
>> channels, Swedish if Finnish is not available, and English for BBC.
>> So (see below) it would be nice if the preferred language would be
>> stored on a channel-by-channel basis, and I could still easily
>> select _any_ subtitles being transmitted.
>
> Oh yes, that would be nice indeed.
>
>> I already mentioned one - BBC. They have English subtitles for the
>> deaf (and people like me ;-) Many channels have subtitles for the
>> deaf, but usually in teletext. Fortunately, I*m not deaf (yet :-)
>
> You dont need to be deaf, London cockney is quite undecipherable by
> bloody-foreigners, same applies to highland (scottish) dialects.

Well that's exactly what I meant. I mainly watch BBC (the real one) and TV
Finland (which of course doesn't even need to transmit any subtitles). I
certainly don't need subtitles when watching e.g. BBC News - but today, I
watched a recording (VDR of course) of one of the "Inspector Lynley"s, and I
could have occasionally used subtitles. The episode played in Manchester -
and I'm definitely not an expert on these Northern English dialects.

> Do they have subtitles on BBC World ?

No.