[vdr] Hardware planning : VDR + EPIA-M + budget DVB

Hello,

I am currently choosing hardware for my future VDR box.

I want to :
* watch free DVB channels
* record them and view later, maybe timeshifting
* play DVD with AC3/SPDIF output
* play DivX files
* play MP3, Ogg Vorbis audio on SPDIF
* burn recorded DVB shows as DivX on DVD-R
* view photos
* surf on the web (house's intranet, a few selected sites)

I already have :
* an EPIA-M 10000
* a DVD+/-R/W
* a 120GB HDD with Debian sarge installed
* an old CD-audio case to fit everything in
* a 60W fanless power supply
* ...read a lot of docs, threads, etc.

I need :
* a budget DVB card (because of heat, power, space inside the case)
* a remote
* a lot of hardware work, including an LCD display that suit the case
* something to connect the keys on the front of the case to the motherboard
* VDR 1.2.6, LIRC, softdevice, other plug-ins...

My questions :
* does vdr work with only one budget DVB card ?
* will it use the SPDIF output (for TV, DVD, OGG) ?
* is the TV output of the EPIA really suitable for watching TV (max resolution, overscan, DAC color depth) ?
* I thought about using a spare keyboard controler to connect the CD-case front panel keys to the motherboard : will LIRC use it and will I be able to use a real keyboard ?
* how does the system switch between the VDR TV screen and, say, X-Window with Mozilla or something else; does the remote continue to work to control other apps; is the remote capable of controling someting like KDE or a real browser ?
* have anyone advices about anything in my planned setup ? Any links are welcome...

--
NH