[vdr] Re: missed vps recording

Martin Schoenbeck wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:
>
> > I believe you've uncovered a real problem here. I actually didn't think
> > of the case that another recording would tune away the device that has been
> > just set to listen to the VPS recording's transponder.
> >
> > I'll see how this can be fixed in the next version.
>
> I know, that video recorders (at least some) scan all channels, which
> are programmed for a vps recording. I assume, because sometimes
> xmissions start earlier than announced. But of course they don't
> evaluate the information about earlier or later xmission in the epg.
> Will vdr see such an announcement and evaluate it?

Yes, but in your case VDR "thought" it had tuned a device to the
necessary transponder and then just waited for the event to become
"running". It didn't realize that another recording has tuned away
that device.

> Yesterday I had another glitch with vps recording. The xmission started
> 32 seconds late. And the last seconds are missing. The xmission was
> announced as being 87 min, we actually have 1:25:06. The syslog is
>
> Mar 29 23:40:38 (none) vdr[26869]: channel 14 (ZDF) event 23:40 'heute
> nacht' status 4
> Mar 29 23:40:39 (none) vdr[26973]: recording thread ended (pid=26973,
> tid=213006)
> Mar 29 23:40:40 (none) vdr[26974]: receiver on device 3 thread ended
> (pid=26974, tid=229391)
> Mar 29 23:40:40 (none) vdr[26859]: buffer stats: 94188 (1%) used
> Mar 29 23:40:40 (none) vdr[26859]: timer 3 (14 2215-2340 'Disappearance
> - Spurlos verschwunden') stop
> Mar 29 23:40:40 (none) vdr[26859]: deleting timer 3

AFAICS the ZDF does provide VPS information, but does _not_ handle the
"running status" correctly. So on the ZDF channels VPS is currently not
useful, yet.

> Perhaps you could add a vps margin to stop. ;-)

You might want to try contacting somebody at the ZDF and ask why they
provide VPS information, but don't handle the "running status" correctly.
The ARD channels apparently do this pretty good.

> I fear, my wife will now disable vps as default. :-(

As I wrote in the release note:

*** BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN USING VPS CONTROLLED TIMERS!
*** IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO PROGRAM BOTH A VPS CONTROLLED AND
*** A "NORMAL" TIMER (WITH A DIFFERENT START TIME AND MAYBE A SOMEWHAT
*** DIFFERENT FILE NAME) IF YOU WANT TO RECORD SOMETHING REALLY IMPORTANT.

Klaus