[vdr] Re: DVD problems

Adrian P Challinor wrote:
> I recorded a DVD according to the documentation in vdrsync and burnt it to A
> NEW dvd+-rw DISK. This played fine with the DVD plugin under VDR. But when I
> tried to load the DVD in the commercial player, it complains that the DVD is
> not readable.

This might be a booktype issue. Some DVD players (and DVD-ROM drives) do
not recognize a DVD+R(W), as it has a booktype entry of "DVD+R(W)", but
most players/drives can be fooled if the booktype is set to "DVD-ROM".
Also, the DVD-drive in my laptop cannot read DVD+RW, but he does read
DVD+R, so this might be another issue.

> I loaded it under windows and it is recognised and plays with Windows Media
> Player. However, the playing is very juttery, and not at all smooth. Its
> playing in realtime, but only showing a bout one frame per second.

That's a different machine than your VDR, isn't it? If so, the drive
might have difficulties with the media? Or ir is generally to slow?

In other words:
I do not have problems with selfmade DVDs. The videos play just fine,
though I do have problems with menues on my commercial Philips player.
But that's a different story.

Cheers,
Juri