[vdr] Re: How to debug recordings menu problems

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:24:36 +0200, Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@ghs.fr>
wrote:

> ReiserFS does a really good job at speeding up directory scans and
> overall disk access : I noticed 10 to 50 times faster than ext2 / ext3,
> on various machines (from Cyrix P200+ / 20GB to PIII 1GHz / SCSI). Some
> ext3 backups were impossible with tar on large disks, and are totally
> in-time with ReiserFS.

ReiserFS is considerably faster on file creation but not much on
directory search for recordings. The problems with slow file search is
caused by a bad implementation of memory handling for directory and
inode cache in Linux when reading/writing large amount of data from
files. I proposed an improvement to SuSE but they dropped it.

This problems with slow response will only stop when either all the
recording data is kept in VDR, or when VDR bypasses the buffer cache
when reading/writing recordings. I hope that futer VDR versions will be
improved in the future in this regard.

BTW, I dropped ReiserFS for storarge of my more than 1 TB of recordings
because I lost data several times after system crashes. I never lost
data with ext3.

Emil