[vdr] Re: Vdr and DVI-out + 5.1 AC-3

Hi,

vdr-bounce@linuxtv.org wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Norberg [mailto:stefan@orbisec.com] Sent: 26. huhtikuuta 2004 20:57
To: vdr@linuxtv.org
Subject: [vdr] Re: Vdr and DVI-out + 5.1 AC-3

Thanks, but this is a VDR mailing list and I want to stick with VDR.
I'm a bit surprised that no one with experience in this field want to share
their
Experiences - not even the plugin authors apparently...

Well I have some experiences, I also have a HDTV capable projector via DVI-D and of course I'd like to see nice deinterlaced DVB-picture on it.

I have NVIDIA gfx-board with DVI-output, so am I not able to drive it via directfb, but hey, I want X with my system, because I can run WWW-browser etc on top of tv-picture.

Xine is a nice option but it don't support FF&REW. But Xine supports HDTV so you can play with HDTV signal on Astra.
That's nolonger true. Just have a look at the latest release 0.2.1.

	http://home.vr-web.de/~rnissl/vdr-xine-0.2.1.tgz

Softdevice-XV is a nice one, the more promising of these two(?). It runs nicely, but versions I've tried it lacks HDTV-support. Also for 720p output mode a deinterlacer & upscaler is needed (similar to Faroudja DCDi-chip).

TVTIME works fine (displaying VDR output directly), but lack of framebuffer store limits to a basic deinterlace-routines. Also on high CPU load sometimes screen goes green for a frame (probably a buffer error?).

KDVR also looks good on screenshots, but on my system I am not able to compile KDE-desktop so I cannot try it.

For me bad option about these softdevices are that they redirect audio decoding to a softdevice. I have SPDIF on DVB-card and I'd like to have output from there (also AC-3 'forwarding'), not to play with ALSA and 2-ch stereo audio.
Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de