[vdr] Re: Handling of reccmds.conf and commands.conf

On Thu, Apr 29 2004, at 19:15:30 +0200, Tobias Grimm wrote:
> Patrick Cernko wrote:
>
> >By the way, as vdr "regenerates" channels.conf and setup.conf (did I
> >miss some files), maybe these files should also be stored in /var...
> >Doesn't FHS also imply that /etc could be read-only?
>
> I think /etc is inteded to be writable to administrators only. So
> consequently, vdr should only run as root. But putting the channels.conf or
> setup.conf somewhere outside /etc isn't a good idea either, because these
> files are conf-Files, that shouldn't be deleted, when removing the package
> (only when purging it).

This is what the FHS says about /etc:

	The /etc hierarchy contains configuration files. A
	"configuration file" is a local file used to control the
	operation of a program; it must be static and cannot be an
	executable binary.

Note: "it must be static".

Maybe /var/lib/vdr/ would be the proper location for these files, from the
FHS:

	This hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an
	application or the system. State information is data that
	programs modify while they run, and that pertains to one
	specific host. Users must never need to modify files in
	/var/lib to configure a package's operation.

	State information is generally used to preserve the condition
	of an application (or a group of inter-related applications)
	between invocations and between different instances of the
	same application.  State information should generally remain
	valid after a reboot, should not be logging output, and should
	not be spooled data.

	An application (or a group of inter-related applications)
	must use a subdirectory of /var/lib for its data. There is
	one required subdirectory, /var/lib/misc, which is intended
	for state files that don't need a subdirectory; the other
	subdirectories should only be present if the application in
	question is included in the distribution.

--
Björn Andersson <bjorn@iki.fi>
PGP id 5AFC144B