[vdr] Re: Some hardware-questions

Le dim 02/05/2004 à 18:07, Rene Hertell a écrit :

> My main questions is now regarding the VIA processor. What can I expect from
> the processors that are available for the Epia-MII boards. The main reason
> why I want to use the Epia-board is that it does not need  as much cooling
> as all the other processor-brands need...

Your cards worry me. Read carefully the posts on double slot PCI riser
cards on epia-M. This is also where your heat will be produced.

> What is the realistic minimum for:
>
> 1) running VDR, record programs and watch them.

I have managed to watch and record at the same time on M-10000

> 2) watch DVD's

The M-10000 uses just over 60% CPU with xine and software decompression.
We are closer every day to hardware acceleration in xine - unichrome
driver site at sourceforge is the place to hang out for news on that.

> 3) watching Xvid/Divx movies.

I haven't experienced any problems with xine and Divx

The M12000 will give you 20% more performance.

I have a hush, so no fans, the disk is noisy though and has been doing
way too much thermal calibration clicking since the beginning of Spring.
I believe the extra heat in the box is from the Skystar 2 and the HD
doesn't like sharing... I would suggest a 2.5" HD as an option to CF.
And an external firewire drive for your /video partition.

Cheers

Tony Grant
--
www.tgds.net Library management software toolkit