[vdr] Re: Some hardware-questions

> Your cards worry me. Read carefully the posts on double slot PCI riser
> cards on epia-M. This is also where your heat will be produced.

I could not find anything else about the double slot PCI riser than posts
about the heat.. Maybe I used wrong keywords when searching?

The Rebach htpc-case has a fan in front of the PCI-cards, so that should
keep the heat down.. Not sure actually how much that helps, but I thought
that I will try that before dumping the idea with the two cards :-)

> > 2) watch DVD's
>
> The M-10000 uses just over 60% CPU with xine and software decompression.
> We are closer every day to hardware acceleration in xine - unichrome
> driver site at sourceforge is the place to hang out for news on that.

So you mean that the Hollywood-card will be useless when the onboard
hw-acceleration starts to work?

> > 3) watching Xvid/Divx movies.
>
> I haven't experienced any problems with xine and Divx
>
> The M12000 will give you 20% more performance.

I could not find any exact info about the M12000 processor, but I suppose
that it will not noticeably warmer than the M10000. Am I right?

> I have a hush, so no fans, the disk is noisy though and has been doing
> way too much thermal calibration clicking since the beginning of Spring.
> I believe the extra heat in the box is from the Skystar 2 and the HD
> doesn't like sharing... I would suggest a 2.5" HD as an option to CF.
> And an external firewire drive for your /video partition.

I would not want to use an external HD, cause it will just be one more piece
to have around..

What do you think about the Rebach-case? Have you heard anything about it?
It looks nice, has nice features and it also looks like they have thought
about ventilation for the PCI-cards.. It is also quite wide, so the air can
circulate quite well inside it..

René