[vdr] Re: Some hardware-questions

Hi Rene,

> I have finally convinced myself that I will build myself a VDR ASAP.
Welcome to the club!

> 1Gig Ram
For what? 128MB is enough for VDR, even if you have no swap-space on
HD. But with 1GB of RAM you might consider to mount it to /video as
tmpfs. ;-)
RAM needs lots of power and more power means that there is more heat
to deal with.

> Large and silent 5400 rpm HDD
I recommend the Samsung-drives. I own a SV1604 and it's really silent
(with rubber-bearing from Noiseblocker) and stays quite cool.

> What I'm planning do, is to install a minimal linux-distro that would fit
> with the VDR-software on a CF card. The basic idea would be that the HDD
> would contain only stuff that I record, and the rest would be on that
> CF-card. This might give me the possibility to spin down the HDD when not
> recording any programs.
I was planning the same but when I heard how silent the HD is, I
decided to let it be. The drive is really silent, so there's no need
for spinning down.

Regards,
  Roland