[vdr] Re: DVD plugin : maintainer wanted

Andreas Breitenbach wrote:
> tho68@ssisrl.com wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm searching for the maintainer of the DVD plugin but I'm
> getting no
> > answer.  What's the procedure to be followed in this case ?
>
> Interresting question. What to do with a project if the maintainer is
> vanished and does not respond in any more?
>
> Is it allowed to have a "community decision" to take it over by a new
> maintainer? Is it necessary to have a new name for the project?

There are two obvious solutions:
1)
Simply take the code, give it a new name (dvd-reloaded ?;) and release
early, release often ;)

2)
"Hijack" the abandoned project. This is imho relatively common amongst OS
projects.
E.g.
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-beyond-pkging.en.html#s-mi
a-qa