[vdr] Re: Ci poll debug/fail messages & VDR split into lib+app?

Kenneth Aafløy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using the ci interface code from VDR since I patched mythtv to make
> use of it about a year ago. Ever since then I've been conservative about
> using the dump transfer data, just because of the fact that the polling code
> will quickly fill a logfile. I've made a suggestion for a patch, which is
> against mythtv cvs, but if you are familiar with the code you'll get the gist
> of it :) This is essentially just a suggestion to make the ci poll (debug
> messages) disappear unless it fails (which is essentially unneeded), which
> will leave the log with only the important messages (and also the addition of
> the fact the poll was the probe that failed, which would go unnoticed
> before). If this will go into the next version of VDR, please change the
> wording of the messages to your preference.

I'm not sure if I understand why this would be necessary.
If you enable DumpTPDUDataTransfer, don't you want to see _everything_?
In normal operation you would never have DumpTPDUDataTransfer enabled,
so why woul you need that modification?

> On another point, would there be any interrest in splitting VDR into a library
> and an application so that other application easily would benefit from the
> library changes? I belive that this has been outered on the linuxtv list
> previously, and considered to be of great importance (to have a DVB library
> that can handle most of DVBs strange behavior).

I'd like to keep VDR the way it is. But if you would like to add a Makefile
target like "libci" and throw in a few macros into ci.[hc] that allow
this file to be compiled into a lib file (mainly because a library wouldn't
be able to use the stuff from VDR/thread.h, VDR/pat.h and VDR/tools.h, I guess
I would accept such a patch.
VDR itself, however, will keep using ci.[hc] directly.

Klaus