[vdr] Re: vdr integration into Freevo

Rob Shortt wrote:
> Dirk Meyer wrote:
>> I'm one of the developers of Freevo (freevo.sf.net) and own a DVB-T
>
> Hi guys, so am I. :)

Hi Rob :-)

>> and recording DVB is vdr. And if you don't have a full featured card,
>> it makes no sense to play avi files with vdr and send the output to
>> xine with vdr-xine.
>
> Isn't that backwards?  Most people using vdr-xine and softdevice have
> budget cards.

Yes. I guess people want an all-in-one app. That's why I think vdr is
not as good as Freevo for budget cards. vdr can play avis with special
plugins, but that involves transforming the avi into mpeg, play it
with vdr and stream it to xine. So for budget cards, Freevo seems to
be the better all-in-one choice because we would only use vdr for tv
and recording (Rob: we need to make huge changes to our recordserver
because vdr has a record queue on it's own).

>> 1. I way to display vdr on budget cards. vdr-xine looks good.
>
> Also softdevice, softmpeg, streamdev.

OK, from freevo side we run vdr and use a plugin to display the vdr
output and the user can specify which plugin to use. Than we use svdrp
to control vdr and sync recordings and other stuff.

I just tested it and starting svdrpsend.pl gives me access denied. Do
I have to enable something?

>> On the other hand, for full featured cards I need a dvb-sdl frontend
>> to display Freevo on the card.
>
> I don't think the OSD for the full featured cards is capable of
> displaying menus and graphics like the Freevo skins, memory isues and
> such.  It might be possible to emulate how the dxr3 sdl output driver
> works by converting everything into mpeg and then sending that to the
> card.

That was the idea. One guy at vdr-portal.de (or something like that)
wrote about a sdl fix for playing games with vdr. But since I only
have a budget card, I won't add much to this part of the project.

Dischi

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index