[vdr] Re: femon values explanations and possible fixes, possible

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Nicolas Huillard wrote:

Some transponders have no lock (ie. no channel on this transponder seems to lock), with a STR (Signal strength) that varies a lot : from 30% to 50% within a few seconds. For those, SNR (Signal-to-noise ratio) is quite stable (47-53%).
--> is there any nominal STR/SNR values below which a channel have no change to lock and be decoded ?
The signal strength and signal-to-noise ratio values are comparable only between the same brand/model frontends, so I cannot tell you which values are good enough. For example my terrestial card gives signal strength 19% no matter is the antenna connected or not :) However your varying STR implicates that there's something wrong with your dvb card & signal...

The BER (Bit error rate) max value seems to be 0000fff0 (with extremely low STR but still a carrier) (Skystar2, if that matters).
--> is there a level between 0 and that max above which the image begins to degrade (MPEG squares, glitches, etc.) ?
Well, I'm having BER rate ~0x500 and haven't noticed any MPEG2 artefacts. There might be a more educated guesses for the BER error free mpeg2 upper limit in the DVB mailinglist.

The UNC (Uncorrected blocks) is always 0, even though there are sound and video errors, and the BER is high. I would induce that the higher BER (Bit error rate) is, the higher is the risk to have UNC (Uncorrected blocks).
--> is the UNC value a rate (uncorrected block for refresh interval) or a counter (number of uncorrected blocks in that stream since lock acquisition)
I was hoping that DVB drivers clear that variable after a lock in enabled, but I haven't checked that. BER seems to be a good enoung indicator for signal quality. And yes, it's a rate.

In my case, BER hardly goes below 0000fff0 (but UNC is always 0), even though STR stays at 67% and SNR at 58% on some transponders.
--> can this explain jerky video and audio (I also use softdevice, that seems to be jerky on it's own).
Yes.

Finally : do I need to better point my dish (dual head 80cm dish) to get better than STR 6% / SNR 58% or are these values OK ? Is it normal that some transponder can't ever lock but others from the same satellite do well.
Or do I need to search on the softdevice side ?
Personally I'd try the tweak the dish position first...

--
rofa

Home | Main Index | Thread Index