[vdr] Re: Choice of Filesystem for VDR

Guido Fiala wrote:

Now however I've had several severe disputes over what is stored on my
xfs partitions with the kernel, or the kernel just dead lock somewhere
in the xfs code. Thus I'd like to drop xfs.

Well, this discussion has been done before, but maybe there are news?
Yea, however this was half a year ago, and I'd expect quite some changes since then.

Back then someone posted the following benchmark results

Num streams |1 1 |2 2
Filesystem |Write Read |Write Read
--------------|----------------|--------------
Ext2 |27.7 29.17 | 5.89 14.43
ext3-ordered |25.73 29.21 | 0.48 1.1
Reiserfs |25.31 26.25 | 7.47 13.55
JFS |26.27 26.95 |26.92 28.5
XFS |27.51 26.00 |27.35 27.42
Based upon this results I started using XFS. Now that I had some major problems with it I for sure wont go and use JFS blindly. Thus my post.

Would like to hear if someone has experiene with Reiser4 already - it claims to be the fastest now...
Yes, I'd also really appreciate this!
However, many of the new things in reiser4 will be of little or no use since I only have some huge files on the disk.

kind regards Philip

Home | Main Index | Thread Index