[vdr] slightly OT: MPlayer & AV-sync

Hi list,

sorry for this slightly off-topic post, but I think some people on this list
may be familiar with replaying vdr-generated files with MPlayer, so... ;-)

My goal:
=======
I have some short pieces of video (approx. 4 mins each) on my harddisk,
recorded and cut by VDR, but named with an arbitrary name and without the
"typical" VDR directory structure. In fact, i've took the 001.vdr, 002.vdr,
... files from multiple cutted recordings, gave them a meaningful name and
collected them in a single directory. Now, I want to "browse" them with VDRs
OSD and replay them from there.

For this to work, I've installed the MPlayer/Mp3-Plugin (for the browsing),
and MPlayer 1.0pre5 (for the replaying).

My Problem:
==========
When I replay the files, AV is almost always slightly out of sync.

I suspect MPlayer to be the cause of it, because when I do:
# mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes 2.mpg
I get:
> Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
> Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough

Which means that the audio part is decoded by mplayer instead of just
passing the data to the Haupauge Rev. 2.1. Thus, the card's firmware can't
care about AV-sync as it would do when VDR replays a recording. (I also
tried the "-autosync 30" switch as suggested in the man page, but without
success.)

To avoid decoding audio, I tried:
# mplayer -ao mpegpes -vo mpegpes -ac mpegpes 2.mpg
but got:
> Forced audio codec: mpegpes
> Cannot find codec for audio format 0x50.

and the video gets replayed without sound.

My Question:
Do you know a way to avoid AV-sync failures when replaying VDR recordings
with MPlayer? (I'd prefer to just pass through the data to the card and let
the firmware handle this).

Thanks and regards
Christian

Home | Main Index | Thread Index