[vdr] Re: [linux-dvb] Re: Problems switching to dvb-kernel

On So, 5.09.2004, 03:44, Sergei Haller sagte:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Rene Bartsch (RB) wrote:
>

> RB> As kernel 2.6 is the new mainstream of Linux it will be used widely
RB> (especially for hardware reasons). That means the users will drop
using
> RB> VDR if it doesn't work with 2.6 and it will be buried in a few month
>

> are you sure about this? or is this just wishful thinking of yours?

The fact: Distros ship kernel 2.6 -> no VDR!

There are just some like us left who can compile their kernel themself,
but I have dropped using VDR for 3 month now as 2.4 doesn't support my
hardware and I have to use 2.6. Having a working server is more important
than watching TV and a second machine consumes to much current (already
500 Watts/h, 24 hours per day and 365 days per year becomes quite
expensive).

And now, just think some steps in future ... Without support for kernel
2.6 the users will change to MythTV, NMM, ...

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index